Rough patch

8 Jun

I’m going through a fairly hard time right now. I’m really frustrated because my life used to be incredibly easy, and now it’s pretty tough. There are things I used to love doing- road bike riding, skiing, and camping, to name a few. Right now, these thing are different for me- I can only ride the tandem bike with my dad, I can’t (in any way) ski like I used to, and things I used to love about camping are much different now.

I’m really frustrated that I used to travel the world to ski- places like New Zealand, Chile, Whistler, to name a few. My job is in noooooo way like it used to be, and that’s upsetting.

Even though I’m extremely upset about these things (and I NEVER thought about them like I do now), I have to look on the bright side- right? For instance, I’m really glad that I’m still able to do these things. My life is tough now, but I have to be thankful that a. I’m still alive and b. I can still do these things. It’s really rough for me now, but I have to be thankful that I can still do these things.

I’m just giving through a rough time in my recovery, that’s all.

About these ads

10 Responses to “Rough patch”

1. kathy bell June 8, 2014 at 7:18 pm #

Sally, I am so sorry that you have hit a hard patch. You work so hard for your recovery that facing the deficits now and seeing how your life is different from before can not be easy. I have watched the exact same things happen with my brother who suffered a terrible TBI 13 years ago. He is coming out to Colorado to visit from Virginia in September so maybe we can all have lunch if you are visiting your parents in Colorado Springs? I live in Manitou Springs. I hope that you can tap into a network of support that finds you happiness. A church, a music group, a hiking club, a cooking club? My brother had to work hard to find those things but he can truthfully say that he is very happy now! I hope the same for you!

Kathy Bell

2. Matt Reilly June 8, 2014 at 11:21 pm #

Sally,

The stark challenge of life post-TBI can simultaneously be a tremendous gift and a bittersweet trial. I have only been fortunate enough to meet you briefly thus far, but please know that my own journey touches upon similar experience as a severe Traumatic Brain Injury survivor of 18 years. Opportunities for health and life abound for each of us in very different circumstances now, but we are embracing them together through the TBIAlive community and would really appreciate your insight on that proactive path when it feels fitting. Why not travel together to see the world, snorkel the Great Barrier Reef, or visit New Zealand once again? Your fantastic vision, experience, and desire may lend energy to encourage our conscious forward motion if you feel comfortable with that, so thank you for such possibility and I hope to see you again at an event soon. We have organized both adaptive water sports (kayaking, SUP, and sailing) and adaptive cycling with recumbent and tandem opportunities this week should you want to connect for those activities. Take care, and please know that we are all fully supporting this new path that you are adjusting to along with the TBIAlive community.

3. Lyn June 10, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

sweet Sally, it’s great that you can vent here. Just know, we ALL go through rough patches! although most of us cannot relate at all to your specific life changing moments and frustrations, just know we ALL love you and totally understand. KEep on truckin’ my friend and soon you will probably be amazed at where you will find a shining bright spot in your day. you WILL travel again, I have NO doubt. HUGs being sent. love ya
    lyn

4. Seth Haber - CEO (@TrekLightGear) June 10, 2014 at 4:07 pm #

Hi Sally – I don’t think that we’ve ever met in person but we have mutual friends here in Boulder and a Facebook connection and I’ve been following along with your story for a long while. When I was 17 a close friend of mine had a stroke that left half her body paralyzed and I’ve witnessed first hand the obstacles she’s been faced with, and the happiness she’s found, in the 18 years since. It isn’t easy and rough patches are no reason to worry, you’ll get through them all.

I know it can’t exactly change the challenges you’re dealing with, but I’d love to give you a hammock as a gift if you’d like. I’ve seen many times over the years that our hammocks have helped people dealing with some very similar challenges, often just by adding a way to be much more comfortable during outdoor adventures and activities like camping. At the very least, it will give you a place to re-center and de-stress when you hit a rough patch and will help you each time to remember what you said in this post – that life is beautiful even with a struggle.

Feel free to get in touch via Facebook, Twitter, in person, etc. and we’ll make it happen. Keep on keepin’ on and keep sharing your story!

-Seth

5. Jessica June 10, 2014 at 7:35 pm #

You are an amazing inspiration Sally. Thanks for reminding us to never take the things we have for granted.

6. Clare June 12, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

You don’t have to sugarcoat anything. We’re all 110% behind you.

7. document management software July 30, 2014 at 8:46 pm #

Good replies in return of this question with firm arguments and telling all
    regarding that.

8. electronic document management solutions August 9, 2014 at 11:18 am #

Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?
    My blog discusses a lot of the same subjects as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you are interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful
    blog by the way!

9. Johnd783 September 17, 2014 at 6:33 am #

Thanks for the sensible critique. Me &amp my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I am very glad to see such wonderful info being shared freely out there. ddedacebkgef

10. Albertina September 19, 2014 at 12:54 am #

I read a lot of interesting posts here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of
    work, there is an online tool that creates unique, SEO friendly posts in seconds,
    just type in google – laranitas free content source